Much Ado About Nothing

Translation support: help needed

Translating WordPress has always been very easy through gettext and tools like poedit. The availability of a whole range of languages and dialects that can be used to replace the standard English messages in WordPress is one of the factors that has contributed to the success of the CMS.

Of course, this support for translation is also available for plugins and themes. Since language shouldn’t be a barrier, I’ve been building support for translations into WP Mollom over the past weeks. The idea is that one can download a translation libary (a .mo file with all the translated strings in his language) and install it without a hussle.

So, today I tested the whole translation support fairly thoroughly and, well, there’s this rub. If I install the plugin using the local MAMP installation on my iBook G4, all is fine. The plugin gets translated in Dutch nicely. But if I try to enable the translation on line, on this blog and the testblog running on this domain, it doesn’t budge. Everything in the on line WordPress setups get translated fine… except for the plugin. I’ve tried switching off all the plugins, veryfing and re-veryfing paths, code, translation files,… and I still don’t see what’s really causing this.

So, I would like some help and see if other people are experiencing the same problem. If you are in for a challenge and you use translation support, dowload the development version of the plugin and give it a go. Just drop the wp-mollom/ folder in the plugins/ folder and make sure you have translation support on your WordPress installation activated.

Drop me a line if you have suggestion! Thanks!