Categorieën
Techtalk

Translation support: help needed

Translating WordPress has always been very easy through gettext and tools like poedit. The availability of a whole range of languages and dialects that can be used to replace the standard English messages in WordPress is one of the factors that has contributed to the success of the CMS.

Of course, this support for translation is also available for plugins and themes. Since language shouldn’t be a barrier, I’ve been building support for translations into WP Mollom over the past weeks. The idea is that one can download a translation libary (a .mo file with all the translated strings in his language) and install it without a hussle.

So, today I tested the whole translation support fairly thoroughly and, well, there’s this rub. If I install the plugin using the local MAMP installation on my iBook G4, all is fine. The plugin gets translated in Dutch nicely. But if I try to enable the translation on line, on this blog and the testblog running on this domain, it doesn’t budge. Everything in the on line WordPress setups get translated fine… except for the plugin. I’ve tried switching off all the plugins, veryfing and re-veryfing paths, code, translation files,… and I still don’t see what’s really causing this.

So, I would like some help and see if other people are experiencing the same problem. If you are in for a challenge and you use translation support, dowload the development version of the plugin and give it a go. Just drop the wp-mollom/ folder in the plugins/ folder and make sure you have translation support on your WordPress installation activated.

Drop me a line if you have suggestion! Thanks!

Categorieën
Techtalk

Mollom 0.6.2, the Urgent One

Since a couple of weeks people using WP Mollom got hit by some spam. On friday, Bert took the problem to Twitter, which caught my attention. Of course, we want to get rid of all the spam and so I notified Dries.

Over the weekend, Dries did some research in the logfiles and noticed some disturbing patterns concerning feedback sent from WordPress blogs using the plugin. Most moderated messages got reported as ‘profanity’ rather then ‘spam’. That led, with the much appreciated help of Pascal, to the discovery of a nasty bug in the feedback functions of the plugin.

It seems that spam was reported as ‘profanity’ and ‘unwanted’ as ‘spam’. The feedback qualifiers got totally messed up in a conditional block… and accustomed with the code as I got, I probably read over it a thousand times without really noticing the error. Through sending the wrong qualifiers, the Mollom servers can not interpret correctly what is spam or not for your blog. This has, of couse, a serious impact on the performance of Mollom.

Given the nature and the severity of the error, I corrected it and put version 0.6.2 with *only* this bugfix up for release on WordPress Extend. So, if you’re running version 0.6.1 or lower, you should download the fixed version as soon as possible.